Thursday, January 22, 2009

Quantum musing reminds me

If you like hard science and are interested in physics, I am also reading The Road to Reality: A Complete Guide to the Laws of the Universe by Roger Penrose. I picked this book up after reading The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions, and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory by Brian Greene. While I enjoyed The Elegant Universe it lacked the actual formulas and I found reading about the intricacies of the theories frustrating without the actual math around to look at. Roger Penrose does not shy away from the formulas, though at over 1,000 pages it is not a book to pick up lightly. If you are new to String Theory and want to check it out, the August 2005 edition of Discover has a great article by Michio Kaku, one of the founders of the theory. If you can find a back copy, and I just realized he is on the Science channel now all the time, and maybe a tad bit over exposed.

If you are a true lunatic like me, Wikipedia, it has some great articles, you can get lost in the links for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment