Sunday, February 15, 2009

Has it been that long really?

"L0pht Heavy Industries, the renowned Boston-area hacker think-tank, will reunite for a panel discussion to discuss the last decade of the security industry and how it has evolved." Youtube video

So watching this reminded me of an event, I guess it was over ten years ago at M.I.T. with Mudge and the gang, (pre-corporate days) in panel form to 'discuss' computer security with the FBI.

What I remember of the event was very sad at the time and amusing now is that many of the FBI agents on the FBI team (3 or 4 of the 5 if memory serves) had yet to go through computer training.

So here on the small stage was an apex of hackerdom and a group of Federal novices, the disparity was so great, that I don't recall anything very relevant being debated or discussed.

The discussion quickly degenerated into questions from the small audience (Directed to the FBI) of "So do you guys get to carry guns?" and the like. It's hard to believe its been that long. I wonder if those agents are still in the industry?

No comments:

Post a Comment